Monday, January 25, 2010

The Fertilizing God

 

What a way to be remembered!

So its a rainy day and for whatever reason I am jumpy and just cannot seem to stay in my office. Its oppressive today, I do not know why.

So what does being jumpy on a raining day lead to? being rather wet after venturing out to go to the post office then being rained upon. I almost called my boy toy to come get me but decided I could not be that much of a wimp.

The other thing that I end up doing is reading about Ancient Babylonia fertilizer Gods!

Actually the reason I ended up reading about that is because my boy toy ninjaed my computer to do something with my internet router (one can only hope fix it so that my internet works consistantly, but the best I can hope for is that the internet still works period when he is done) so I read on my phone (I love kindle and amazon and iPhones!).

Now he has my iPhone trying to get it to connect to  the router, so here  I am!

 

So back to the fertilizing gods! One of the Gods most often mentioned in the book I am currently reading is the water or sea god Ea, who even has a seaport that is the cult headquarters for him (I have no idea what that is supposed to mean). It turns out that because the rivers Tigris and Euphrates brought down the silt and other such goodies that fertilized the lands, and because Ea was the water/fish god, he thereby becomes the fertilizing god. What a wonderful way to be remembered!

 

Now the Goddess who had it good was Ishtar:

Ishtar is highest! Ishtar is the queen! Ishtar the peerless daughter of the moon!

No comments:

Post a Comment