Friday, January 29, 2010

A sense of belonging

 

At the risk of sounding like I am soul searching (I’m not) I have been thinking about just what it is I like to do. Up until a couple weeks ago I would have very quickly answered, horseback riding. I even had very convincing reasons why. But now, I am feeling rather left in the dark without knowing what it is I like to do.

With horses, it was my life, still is to a certain degree since I still have to care for them. But horses were all encompassing, I spent 95% of my day thinking about them, even when I was working. Now I don’t know what to think about! I can’t work very well without something to obsess over, its just the way I am.

I never did truely find a horse sport that I fit into, I tried eventing and driving and trail riding and endurance I thought about trying polo, but nothing ever stuck. In my non-horse life I tried civil war reenacting, crafting, sewing, spining, writing and probably other things that I am not currently remembering.

The fact is, every time I find something that looks interesting I want to jump into it full bore, I want it to consume my whole life because that is what I like to do in my life.

But now I am without anything to consume my life with, and its very frustrating! I have spent the last couple of weeks reading romance novels because I couldn’t figure anything else out!

Perhaps I need to try several hobbies at once, but I am not sure that my mind can handle that. Or maybe I need to pick what I like best in life then form a hobby around that. Although how I can form a hobby around tall leather boots and old books I am not sure!

When reading Harry Potter did you ever wonder what the love potion would smell like to you? I know what it would be for me, leather and old books!

No comments:

Post a Comment